Friday, May 20, 2011

The Faithfulness of One

I recently read through the book of Acts. I love seeing how the early church was so bold and on fire. They went out to all lands and preached the Good News. Paul, especially, gets me pumped up. He man was radically transformed and set ablaze for the Kingdom of God. This passage about Paul in Acts really jumped out to me:


"Paul went into the synagogue and spoke out boldly for three months. He talked with the people and persuaded them to accept the things he said about the Kingdom of God. But some of them because stubborn. They refused to believe and said evil things about the way of Jesus before all the people. So Paul left then, and taking the followers with him, he went to the school of a man named Tyrannus. There Paul talked with people everyday for two years. Because of his work, every Jew and Greek in Asia heard the Word of the Lord." Acts 19:8-10


The first thing that really stuck out to me were the time periods. I like to rush things. I like to see things happen fast, but I'm learning more and more that that's not very realistic. Paul stayed in the first place for three months, and even then most people turned away from the Good News. Also, notice how Paul left once they became hardened. He didn't waste time with those who heard but turned away. He moved on to those who hadn't yet heard. Now don't get me wrong I don't believe anyone is past redemption, but I do think there is a certain point you can get to with someone where you've done all you can do, the rest is up to the Holy Spirit. So Paul went on and in this new place he stayed for two years. Not only did he stay for a long period of time but notice that everyday he talked with the people about the gospel. The last part of this blows my mind as it says that because of this daily faithfulness to the task every single Jew and Greek heard the gospel!! Every single one! This should be a wake up call to all of us. It only takes the daily faithfulness of one person for God to use them to change an entire continent! 


Let's get busy. You aren't responsible for the results, but you are responsible to your faithfulness of sharing the gospel day end and day out. If we've truly met Jesus, how can we not speak of all He's done!

No comments:

Post a Comment