Thursday, May 20, 2010

The King of Patience

I'm going to be honest and say I'm not the best at being patient. I think most of us these days are in the same boat. We live in an age where we get frustrated if the internet takes more than 2 seconds to load, if we have to sit through two red lights, or worst yet watch three minutes of commercials before seeing the most suspenseful part of the show! By far, we, as a whole, are very impatient people. We want everything now.

 I've been trying to work on being more patient, but you know what they say, "Don't pray for patience because God will give you opportunities to practice it." I wish someone would have told me that in the first place! Just kidding. In the past few months I've had to struggle to be as patient as I can waiting to hear back an answer from the seminary I applied to. I just got an acceptance letter last week and I'm suppose to move in on May 31st, only a week and a half away! Now don't get me wrong, I am extremely grateful for this next step in my life, but man did I have to wait a while to know what direction that step would be! So now that I know I'll be going to Southeastern, I'm having to once again be patient and wait for my email account, housing and registration to go through! 

Have you ever got so tired of waiting and being patient that you kind of just give up and even stop asking God to see you through? We'll that's about where I was. I really felt like I was annoying God because I was seeking an answer from Him so often. Earlier this week though He spoke a solid truth to me in Genesis 18: 20-33. Abraham asks the Lord pretty much the same question six times in a row. "Will you destroy the whole city for the lack of [enter number here] good people?" Just as continuously as Abraham asks this, the Lord answers the same, "If I find [enter number here], I will not destroy it." Through this  repetitive interrogation the LORD never once loses patience with Abraham. Not once! If it was me Abraham was asking I would have cut him off the second time yelling, "I already told you!". 

So rest assured, you can always rely on God to be patient with you even in the most frustrating and seemingly badgering times. God will never lose His cool with you. He is always willing and waiting to listen in the most patient and loving ways. If you're in a situation where you feel you aren't hearing from God and you're tired of asking Him to speak to you, don't give up. He wants you to come to Him with the deepest desires of your heart. He will not become impatient with you! He is the King of Patience! 

No comments:

Post a Comment