Sunday, November 21, 2010

Not One Left Behind

I have learned that my expectations are too small, even insulting to God, if I may say myself. God blew my mind at the 1st Annual Orphan Care Coffee House this past Thursday. This event was a fundraising coffee house to raise money for Canaan Christian Community and the Clopton Family who is adopting a child from Ghana. It was also a major push to bring about awareness of the orphan problem worldwide and to provide opportunities to get involved.

 I was put in charge of running the Canaan section for the night, which I was more than happy to take on! I love talking about what God is doing there! But more particular that night I was given the opportunity to step out in faith with a vision that God had given me; to love on the kids of Canaan and provide Christ-like examples and relationships to them, even if from a distance. After about two months in prayer and working out logistical issues, it was game time.

I had all 40 of the older kid's pictures and 40 commitment cards in hope that people would commit to pray and connect with a child at Canaan. I'm not going to lie, I had no clue what the out turn was going to be. I was scared that not even one child would get picked. But that quickly got disproved. As the night went on, more and more people made decisions to commit to a child. I saw the number of pictures on the table get smaller and smaller by the hour. 

It was 11pm, the closing time of the coffee house, and I still had 8 Canaan kids left. I started panicking and praying, "Lord, don't let one child be left! These are Your precious and chosen children!" As people left, four of the eight had people commit to them. We started breaking down and packing up, but for some reason I could not put those 4 pictures that we're left away. And as always God kept telling me, "trust me". I can't even begin to tell you how many times I debated it in my head, "Let's call it a night..", "No! None of them is being left!", and back and forth, back and forth.

By around 11:15pm all but one was left. I turned around to grab the rest of my stuff to call it a night and sure enough God provided. A girl came running over, "Are there still any Canaan children left!? I want to pray for and write to one!" I honestly had to hold back tears, but I definitely didn't hold back my excitement. Good thing that didn't scare her off!

So here I am, Sunday night, reflecting on God's awesome and unexplainable faithfulness. His ability to see us through in any and every aspect of our lives is truly amazing. My memory verse this week, was right on point for this occasion (of course, God always works it out like that!). Psalm 37:5 says "Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him and He will act." 
And boy did He act!


Kid's pictures

Getting to talk about what God is doing at Canaan!


No comments:

Post a Comment