Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Haiti Journal: Day 1



The trip to Haiti was absolutely amazing! It has rocked my world in so many ways. I know that many people are wanting to hear all about it, but right now I feel so overwhelmed with processing what happened this week and seeking the next steps that I haven't been very talkative. So I've decided to post my journal entries from this past week on my blog. They will be coming either everyday or every other, so stay tuned. Please keep in prayer the people of Haiti and also myself and the process of God laying out what the next steps are in my life as a result of the work in Haiti. I love you all.


Oct. 4, 2010

First day and soon to be first night in Haiti. It was an early start this morning at 3am and although it’s only about 9pm it feels and looks like it is well into the night. The orphanage is absolutely amazing. After the drive through Port-au-Prince and surrounding villages, this place really does seem like heaven on earth compared to the tragedy we passed. There were mountains full of tent after tent. The mountains were practically all blue and white, the color of all the crammed tents that covered every square inch. It was so surreal. It was like what you were seeing wasn’t even registering or couldn’t even begin to register in your brain. To even try to imagine the amount of struggle and hardship these people face every single day is practically impossible. They have been posted up in “tent cities” ever since the earthquake, almost a year ago. They wander by day, leaving their tents because of the unbearable heat, but having nowhere to go during the day because everything is gone. I cannot even begin to try to grasp it. I guess you can say that I’m still in culture shock. These kids here at Canaan Orphanage are amazing! They are shy at first but within minutes they will be hand in hand with you pulling you off for a game of soccer. I cannot even begin to express the feelings and joy it brings to see them smile and hear them laugh. These are kids that have seen nothing but rejection. Their parents don’t want them or either can’t take care of them. Many don’t even have parents, some due to the earthquake. Yet in just these small moments to see them filled with so much joy, with not a care in the world or a hurt in sight, it truly is like seeing a glimpse of heaven. I haven’t cried yet like I expected. I think because in so many ways I see how these people are so much richer than we will ever be. They know what real faith is; trusting that God will provide even in so much devastation, even in times that look like there is no hope to ever get back up again. I see God moving in so many ways here and it excites me. While I know that He has yet to even begin to bring about His exceeding glory in this nation, I can’t hold back in shouting for joy for those little sparks of a coming revival.  God is uniting His people under Him in a might way, as one, all nations, all people.  God, would you open my eyes and help me to grow in faith like the people of Haiti. Help me to trust You even in the utter worst of times.



Tent cities in Port-au-Prince



No comments:

Post a Comment